‘Wipeout’ contestant dies upon completing obstacle course challenge

November 20, 2020

A contestant on the TBS series “Wipeout” has died after completing one of the show’s obstacle courses.

According to TMZ and People, a male contestant sought medical attention upon finishing the challenge and was seen by on-site medical staff.

Paramedics were called and the individual was taken to the hospital, where he later died, reported the outlets.

While the contestant’s identity has yet to be revealed, law enforcement sources told TMZ they received a cardiac arrest call and medics allegedly used a defibrillator on the individual.

The production had safety protocols on set to ensure the health of contestants.

"All the contestants on Wipeout undergo medical examinations before they are cleared to participate," a source close to the production told People. "There is an onsite safety team that is comprised of several paramedics, two set medics, a paramedic coordinator and a safety producer. There is a safety team present at all times."

Following news of the contestant’s death, TBS released a statement.

“We are devastated to have learned of his passing and our deepest sympathy goes out to the family,” the network told People.

Endemol Shine North America, which produces the series, added: "We offer our heartfelt condolences to the family and our thoughts are with them at this time."

Premiering in 2008, “Wipeout” originally aired on ABC until 2014. Earlier this year, it was announced the obstacle course competition series would be rebooted on TBS.

While a premiere date has yet to be announced, John Cena and Nicole Byer will serve as hosts on the new version.

LISTEN NOW on the RADIO.COM App
Follow RADIO.COM
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram